Tropical disturbance located southwest of the Cape Verde Islands in the Atlantic Ocean is the fourth named tropical system in 2013 Atlantic hurricane season. Tropical Storm Dorian is gaining more strength as it moves west-northwestward over the open tropical Atlantic. Conditions are now modestly favorable for strengthening in the next 24 hours before the storm begins to encounter lower sea surface temperatures in the next 48 hours, which could lead to some slight weakening. The estimated minimum central pressure is 999 mb (29.50 inches).
GOES-East Infrared satellite image of North Atlantic acquired at 19:45 UTC on July 13, 2013 (Credit: NOAA/UW-CIMSS)
MODIS satellite imagery on July 25, 2013 - Terra at 12:55 UTC and Aqua at 16:00 (Credit: LANCE Rapid Response/MODIS)
According to latest public advisory (#7) issued by US National Hurricane Center (NHC), the center of Tropical Storm Dorian was located about 1670 miles (2690 km) east of the northern Leeward Islands. Maximum sustained winds are around 60 mph (95 km/h). Tropical-storm-force winds extend outward up to 60 miles (95 km) from the center. The system is moving west-northwestward at speed of 18 mph (30 km/h).
NHC's forecast track and 5-day tropical storm force wind speed probabilities map (Credit: NOAA/NHC)
GOES AVN Infrared satellite image acquired at 21:15 UTC on July 25, 2013 (Credit: NOAA/GOES)
NHC's forecasters kept a close eye on Dorian over the last 24 hours as it traversed cooler sea surface temperatures, and survived. Dorian is now moving over and toward warmer waters and some slight strengthening is possible during the next 24 to 48 hours.
Tropical Storm Dorian forecast track models - Spaghetti (Credit: UWM)
- Storm-Centered Infrared (GOES 13; NOAA/SSD)
- Storm-Centered Infrared (Aviation Color Enhancement) (GOES 13; NOAA/SSD)
- Storm-Centered Water Vapor (GOES 13; NOAA/SSD)
- Storm-Centered Visible (GOES 13; NOAA/SSD)
- Storm-Centered Visible (Colorized) (GOES 13; NOAA/SSD)
- Central Atlantic Infrared (GOES 13; NOAA/SSD)
- Central Atlantic Infrared (Aviation Color Enhancement) (GOES 13; NOAA/SSD)
- Central Atlantic Water Vapor (GOES 13; NOAA/SSD)
- Central Atlantic Visible (GOES 13; NOAA/SSD)
- Central Atlantic Visible (Colorized) (GOES 13; NOAA/SSD)
Featured image Aqua MODIS satelllite image acquired at 16:00 UTC on July 25, 2013 (Credit: Lance Rapid Response/MODIS/Worldview)