The eighth hurricane of a 2012 season will continue to churn east in the Atlantic this week. Hurricane Nadine set its eye on the Azores. For second time this season Azores will be impacted by a hurricane which is quiet a rare occurrence in one season.
Nadine begins to slow down as it weakens to a tropical storm. The system is expected to maintain its minimal hurricane status through midweek although wind shear could weakened it a bit. The strong upper-level winds were pushing the top of Nadine east of the low-level center of circulation. Even if Nadine lose tropical characteristics, residents and visitors can expect heavy rain, strong winds and rough surf.
According to latest public advisory by US National Hurricane Center (NHC), the center of Tropical Storm Nadine was located near latitude 31.4 north and longitude 38.1 west. Nadine is moving toward the east-northeast near 30 km/h (18 mph). A turn toward the northeast with a decrease in forward speed is forecast on Monday.
Maximum sustained winds are near 110 km/h (70 mph) with higher gusts. Little change in strength is forecast during the next couple of days. Tropical storm force winds extend outward up to 295 km (185 miles) from the center. Estimated minimum central pressure is 987 mB.
- Storm-Centered Infrared (GOES 13; NOAA/SSD)
- Storm-Centered Infrared (Aviation Color Enhancement) (GOES 13; NOAA/SSD)
- Storm-Centered Water Vapor (GOES 13; NOAA/SSD)
- Storm-Centered Visible (GOES 13; NOAA/SSD)
- Storm-Centered Visible (Colorized) (GOES 13; NOAA/SSD)
- Northeast Atlantic Infrared (Meteosat 9; NOAA/SSD)
- Northeast Atlantic Infrared (Aviation Color Enhancement) (Meteosat 9; NOAA/SSD)
- Northeast Atlantic Water Vapor (Meteosat 9; NOAA/SSD)
- Northeast Atlantic Visible (Meteosat 9; NOAA/SSD)
- Northeast Atlantic Visible (Colorized) (Meteosat 9; NOAA/SSD)
If you value what we do here, open your ad-free account and support our journalism.
Producing content you read on this website takes a lot of time, effort, and hard work. If you value what we do here, select the level of your support and register your account.
Your support makes this project fully self-sustainable and keeps us independent and focused on the content we love to create and share.
All our supporters can browse the website without ads, allowing much faster speeds and a clean interface. Your comments will be instantly approved and you’ll have a direct line of communication with us from within your account dashboard. You can suggest new features and apps and you’ll be able to use them before they go live.
You can choose the level of your support.
Stay kind, vigilant and ready!