The most powerful typhoon of the season slammed the Japanese island of Okinawa on early Sunday morning with damaging winds reaching equivalent of Category 3 hurricane strength. Heavy torrential rains with rainfall rates well exceeding an inch an hour came from multiple points on the island. The massive amounts of rainfall, combined with impacts of storm surge and the rough surf, led to some flooding.
According to latest bulletin by Joint Typhoon Warning Center (JTWC), Typhoon Sanba is located approximately 75 nm southwest of Pusan, south Korea, and it’s moving northward at 17 knots over the past six hours. Maximum significant wave height is 11 meters (36 feet). The system is now currently heading towards South Korea where it is expected to make a second landfall.
Landfall is likely to occur somewhere along the south-facing coast of the Korean Peninsula early Monday morning local time. Damaging winds, flooding rains, and rough surf will accompany the storm as it moves towards South Korea. The storm should pass close enough to Kyushu to bring impacts to that Japanese island as well.
After making landfall, Sanba is forecast to move back over the Sea of Japan before making another landfall in far northeastern North Korea.
- Storm-Centered Infrared (MTSAT; NOAA/SSD)
- Storm-Centered Infrared (Aviation Color Enhancement) (MTSAT; NOAA/SSD)
- Storm-Centered Water Vapor (MTSAT; NOAA/SSD)
- Storm-Centered Visible (MTSAT; NOAA/SSD)
- Storm-Centered Visible (Colorized) (MTSAT; NOAA/SSD)
- Northwest Pacific Infrared (MTSAT2; NOAA/SSD)
- Northwest Pacific Infrared (Aviation Color Enhancement) (MTSAT2; NOAA/SSD)
- Northwest Pacific Water Vapor (MTSAT2; NOAA/SSD)
- Northwest Pacific Visible (MTSAT2; NOAA/SSD)
- Northwest Pacific Visible (Colorized) (MTSAT2; NOAA/SSD)
If you value what we do here, create your ad-free account and support our journalism.
Your support makes a difference
Dear valued reader,
We hope that our website has been a valuable resource for you.
The reality is that it takes a lot of time, effort, and resources to maintain and grow this website. We rely on the support of readers like you to keep providing high-quality content.
If you have found our website to be helpful, please consider making a contribution to help us continue to bring you the information you need. Your support means the world to us and helps us to keep doing what we love.
Support us by choosing your support level – Silver, Gold or Platinum.
Other support options include Patreon pledges, one-off payments using PayPal and purchasing products from our webshop.
Thank you for your consideration. Your support is greatly appreciated.