Articles tagged "la nina"

lanina

La Niña ENSO phase declared at the peak of hurricane season

The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) has officially declared this year's La Niña phase on Thursday, September 10, 2020. The announcement comes at the peak of the hurricane season. This weather pattern occurs over the eastern Pacific,...

September 11, 2020

la nina us july 2020

NOAA issues La Niña watch, up to 55 percent chance of development during fall persisting through winter

The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) has issued a La Niña watch on Thursday morning, July 9, 2020. However, the possibility is not that strong as there is only a 50 to 55 percent chance of La Niña, a 40 to 45 percent chance of...

July 11, 2020

sea surface anomaly november 27 december 3 2017 f

Tropical Pacific reaches La Niña levels

The Australian Bureau of Meteorology has raised its ENSO Outlook to La Niña, indicating that the tropical Pacific has reached La Niña levels. Climate models suggest this La Niña will be weak and short-lived, persisting until early southern...

December 07, 2017

forecasting la nina drought

Improved ability to predict strength and duration of droughts caused by La Niña

Two new studies from The University of Texas at Austin have significantly improved scientists' ability to predict the strength and duration of droughts caused by La Niña - a recurrent cooling pattern in the tropical Pacific Ocean. Their findings, which...

November 17, 2017

storm_front_au_by_mrpbps_dec_2010_f

WMO's ENSO Update: Weak La Niña may develop

A La Niña event may develop in the third quarter of this year, but it is likely to be weak, the World Meteorological Organization (WMO) reported in its ENSO Update published July 28, 2016. The event is not expected to match up to the moderate to strong La...

July 28, 2016

storm_by_jussi_ollila_f

The 2015–16 El Niño in its last stages, BOM at La Niña Watch

The 2015–16 El Niño is in its last stages, the Australian Bureau of Meteorology (BOM) reports. Recent changes in the tropical Pacific Ocean and atmosphere, combined with current climate model outlooks, suggest the likelihood of La Niña forming...

April 26, 2016

climate_models_bom_sst_anomaly_march_29_2016

Climate models indicate neutral conditions and La Niña equally likely in 2016

The decline of the 2015-16 El Niño continues in the tropical Pacific, the Australian Bureau of Meteorology (BOM) reported today. For southern hemisphere winter and spring, climate models suggest neutral and La Niña conditions are equally likely....

March 29, 2016

2Amanda_May_25_2014_1445Z

Impacts of El Niño and La Niña on the hurricane season

Researchers have found that instances of Atlantic tropical storms and hurricanes are usually reduced during an El Niño year. 2014 hurricane season just started and there is a strong potential for El Niño to develop during the next few months.El

June 08, 2014

lanina 111101 02

La Niña is back

La Niña is defined as cooler than normal sea-surface temperatures in the central and eastern tropical Pacific ocean that impact global weather patterns. La Niña conditions recur every few years and can persist for as long as two years.A sea surface anomaly, or

November 02, 2011

3193640 3x2 940x627

Fires in Northern Territory, Australia

Large fires burned throughout Australia’s Northern Territory on September 30, 2011, when the Moderate Resolution Imaging Spectroradiometer (MODIS) on NASA’s Aqua satellite acquired this image. The fires are marked in red. Fire fighters were monitoring 21 fires,

October 01, 2011

globe earth full not expanding 110816

Scientists claim that Earth is not expanding

Since Darwin's time, scientists have speculated the planet might be expanding or contracting. Even with the acceptance of plate tectonics half a century ago, which explained the large-scale motions of Earth's outermost shell, the accusations persisted; some Earth and

August 17, 2011

la nina weakening 110520

This hurricane season may see 12 to 18 named storms and 6 to 10 hurricanes

The 2011 Atlantic Hurricane Season Outlook could be an above-normal year for activity, according to the forecast from the U.S. National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration.This hurricane season may see 12 to 18 named storms and six to 10 hurricanes, according to

May 22, 2011

chilling storm

El Nino will get more extreme

El Niño and La Niña are the warm and cold phases, respectively, of the pattern known as the El Niño Southern Oscillation (ENSO) in the eastern half of the tropical Pacific. Forecasting how this pattern will behave a few months in advance is now...

May 18, 2011

colombia landslide_1779195i1

Massive landslides and floods hit Colombia

As many as 200 people may have been buried in a landslide that swept over houses near Medellin, Colombia's second largest city. The landslide struck the La Gabriela district of the town of Bello near Medellin, 250 miles northwest of the capital Bogota. The landslide

April 13, 2011