Executive Council of KwaZulu-Natal (KZN), southeastern province of South Africa, has announced intends to declare eight areas in a "state of disaster" due to severe drought conditions.
According to their statement issued on Tuesday, October 7, the affected areas fall under the uMkhanyakude, uThungulu, iLembe, Zululand, uMgungundlovu, Harry Gwala, uMzinyathi and uThukela districts.
"The recent data by SA Weather Services indicates that most of the areas that are affected have been constantly receiving less than average rainfall in the past five (5) years. KZN will receive below average rainfall, which has to date affected water levels in various catchments" (IOL/Reuters)
The statement highlighted the following reasons for the concern:
- Most rivers were not flowing properly with some completely drying.
- More than 80 percent of boreholes as alternative water sources to (existing) supply had dried up.
- The agriculture sector had been severely affected. Equally so, communal/farm dams established to cater for the livestock are dry or below expected levels.
- Most water schemes implemented by municipalities had been severely affected.
- The dry conditions had increased the province's susceptibility to runaway veldfires, which lead to fatal fire incidents in affected areas.
Featured image: "The bush under a cloudy sky arty" by Steve Slater (CC via Flickr)
If you value what we do here, open your ad-free account and support our journalism.
Producing content you read on this website takes a lot of time, effort, and hard work. If you value what we do here, select the level of your support and register your account.
Your support makes this project fully self-sustainable and keeps us independent and focused on the content we love to create and share.
All our supporters can browse the website without ads, allowing much faster speeds and a clean interface. Your comments will be instantly approved and you’ll have a direct line of communication with us from within your account dashboard. You can suggest new features and apps and you’ll be able to use them before they go live.
You can choose the level of your support.
Stay kind, vigilant and ready!