A new tropical cyclone named Funso is forming between Mozambique and the island of Madagascar. A tropical depression has already landed in southern Mozambique near Maputo, triggering local flooding at start of this week. Moreover, torrential rain in northern Mozambique has been related to the present tropical low. Madagascar and Mozambique have already seen adverse tropical weather this month. Tropical Cyclone Chandra buffered western and southern Madagascar on the January 8-9th.
According to latest Joint Typhoon Warning Center (JTWC) warning bulletin,Tropical cyclone 08S (FUNSO) is now located 595 nm Northeast of Maputo, Mozambique (18.3S 39.3E), south of Maagascar. It is moving West-Southwestward at 8 knots over the past 6 hours. By now it has undergone a period of rapid intensification with a visible "eye" present.
Tropical cyclone 07S (ETHEL) is located 580nm East-NortEast of La Reunion and its moving Southwestward at 10 knots over the past 6 hours, JTWC reported. Maximum significant wave heights is 5.2 meters (17 feet).
- Meteosat 7 Infrared (Meteosat 7; CIMSS)
- Meteosat 7 Infrared (Color Background) (Meteosat 7; CIMSS)
- Meteosat 7 Infrared (NHC Color Enhancement) (Meteosat 7; CIMSS)
- Meteosat 7 Water Vapor (Meteosat 7; CIMSS)
- Meteosat 7 Water Vapor (Color Background) (Meteosat 7; CIMSS)
Featured image credit: LANCE/MODIS/EOSDIS/Aqua