Tropical Depression 16W become Tropical Storm Bolaven and took more of a rounded shape on August 20. Bolaven continued to organize and intensify in the western north Pacific waters. Bolaven will continue to intensify as environmental conditions remain favorable.
According to latest report by Joint Typhoon Warning Center (JTWC), Tropical Storm Bolaven (16W) was located about 410 nm south of Iwo To, Japan and was moving west-northwestward ar speed of 3 knots. Maximum significant wave heights are 14 feet.
Bolaven will continue strengthening as it moves to the west-northwest over the next couple of days in open waters of the western North Pacific Ocean. By August 24 forecasters at the Joint Typhoon Warning Center expect Bolaven to reach typhoon status. Taiwan could be affected by Bolaven.
Tropical Storm Bolaven was born over the weekend of August 18-19 in the western North Pacific.
- Storm-Centered Infrared (MTSAT; NOAA/SSD)
- Storm-Centered Infrared (Aviation Color Enhancement) (MTSAT; NOAA/SSD)
- Storm-Centered Water Vapor (MTSAT; NOAA/SSD)
- Storm-Centered Visible (MTSAT; NOAA/SSD)
- Storm-Centered Visible (Colorized) (MTSAT; NOAA/SSD)
- Tropical West Pacific Infrared (MTSAT2; NOAA)
- Tropical West Pacific Enhanced Infrared (MTSAT2; NOAA)
- Tropical West Pacific Water Vapor (MTSAT2; NOAA)
- Tropical West Pacific Visible (MTSAT2; NOAA)
If you value what we do here, create your ad-free account and support our journalism.
Producing content you read on this website takes a lot of time, effort, and hard work. If you value what we do here, select the level of your support and register your account.
Your support makes this project fully self-sustainable and keeps us independent and focused on the content we love to create and share.
All our supporters can browse the website without ads, allowing much faster speeds and a clean interface. Your comments will be instantly approved and you’ll have a direct line of communication with us from within your account dashboard. You can suggest new features and apps and you’ll be able to use them before they go live.
You can choose the level of your support.
Stay kind, vigilant and ready!