North Korea calls for prompt recovery after Typhoon "Maysak" leaves a trail of destruction

North Korea calls for prompt recovery after Typhoon

North Korean leader Kim Jong-Un called for prompt efforts to rebuild thousands of houses and structures destroyed during Typhoon "Maysak," which struck the nation's eastern region last week. Almost 60 bridges were washed away, more than 2 000 houses were flooded, dozens of public buildings were damaged, and more than 3 500 m (11 500 feet) of railway roadbeds were swept away. The storm reportedly caused dozens of casualties.​

Maysak brought heavy rains to the east coast last week while the North was still reeling from previous damage left by Typhoon "Haishen."

KCNA news agency reported more than 2 000 houses and tens of public buildings "destroyed or inundated," 60 km (37 miles) of roads collapsed, 59 bridges destroyed, and more than 3 500 m (11 500 feet) of railway roadbeds washed away.

During a meeting on Tuesday, September 8, Kim told a top committee of the Workers' Party of Korea that the damage prompted the authorities to "change the direction of our struggle after comprehensively considering the year-end tasks that were underway."

The leader ordered around 12 000 Pyongyang-based party members to assist with recovery operations in the affected regions. 

"We are afraid of nothing," said party member Kang Chol Jin. "We firmly confirm our determination to go to the typhoon-afflicted areas and complete our missions as soon as possible."

Kim emphasized the importance of completing the efforts before the commemorations of the 75th anniversary of the Workers' Party founding on October 10.

Featured image credit: South China Morning Post/YouTube

Comments

prioris 14 days ago

Some on internet say Kim Jong Un has been brain dead in hospital for last 4 months and that is a double in the photos. He has made no voice videos in a while.

Post a comment

Your name: *

Your email address: *

Comment text: *

The image that appears on your comment is your Gravatar