An area of low pressure that produced showers and thunderstorms near the Mariana Islands has strengthened into Tropical Storm "Kammuri" on September 26, 2014.
Kammuri continues to stir off the eastern sea board of Honshu bringing gusty winds to the Izu and Ogasawara islands and high waves up and down the mainland coastline.
Japan Meteorological Agency (JMA) has issued high wave advisories for the Pacific sea board of Honshu. Dangerous surf and rip currents will remain the highest threat.
Aqua/MODIS satellite captured TS Kammuri in the Western Pacific Ocean at 03:20 UTC on September 26, 2014. (Credit: LANCE Rapid Response/MODIS)
JMA reported maximum sustained winds of 74 km/h (46 mph) with gusts up to 11 km/h (69 mph).
JTWC and ECMWF forecast models (Credit: JTWC/EMCWF)
The system slowly begun its extra-tropical transition with the bulk of the convection on the westerly periphery evaporated following dry air inflow from cooler Siberian air from the north-west. Kammuri is forecasted to continue to track north west through the next two days.
- Storm-Centered Infrared (MTSAT; NOAA/SSD)
- Storm-Centered Infrared (Aviation Color Enhancement) (MTSAT; NOAA/SSD)
- Storm-Centered Water Vapor (MTSAT; NOAA/SSD)
- Storm-Centered Visible (MTSAT; NOAA/SSD)
- Storm-Centered Visible (Colorized) (MTSAT; NOAA/SSD)
- Storm-Centered Infrared (MTSAT2; CIMSS)
- Storm-Centered Enhanced Infrared (MTSAT2; CIMSS)
- Storm-Centered Water Vapor (MTSAT2; CIMSS)
- Storm-Centered Visible (MTSAT2; CIMSS)
- Northwest Pacific Infrared (MTSAT2; NOAA/SSD)
- Northwest Pacific Infrared (Aviation Color Enhancement) (MTSAT2; NOAA/SSD)
- Northwest Pacific Water Vapor (MTSAT2; NOAA/SSD)
- Northwest Pacific Visible (MTSAT2; NOAA/SSD)
- Northwest Pacific Visible (Colorized) (MTSAT2; NOAA/SSD)
Featured image: MODIS satellite image of TS Kammuri captured on September 28, 2014. (Credit: LANCE Rapid Response/MODIS/Worldview)
If you value what we do here, open your ad-free account and support our journalism.
Producing content you read on this website takes a lot of time, effort, and hard work. If you value what we do here, select the level of your support and register your account.
Your support makes this project fully self-sustainable and keeps us independent and focused on the content we love to create and share.
All our supporters can browse the website without ads, allowing much faster speeds and a clean interface. Your comments will be instantly approved and you’ll have a direct line of communication with us from within your account dashboard. You can suggest new features and apps and you’ll be able to use them before they go live.
You can choose the level of your support.
Stay kind, vigilant and ready!