Articles tagged "el niño southern oscillation (enso)"

iod reaches zero for the first time feb 4 2020 ft img

Indian Ocean Dipole reaches zero, tropical Pacific Ocean remains ENSO neutral

The Indian Ocean Dipole (IOD) has reached zero for the first time since May 2019, according to the Bureau of Meteorology (BOM) report on Tuesday, February 4, 2020. Surface waters in the tropics close to and west of the Date Line are warmer than average, potentially...

February 04, 2020

thailand flood

Decadal variation of relationship between East Asian monsoon and El Nino

East Asian summer monsoon (EASM) is one of the most dominant climate systems in East Asia. The anomalous EASM can cause extremely high temperatures, floods or drought. And the El Niño-Southern Oscillation (ENSO), the dominating mode in the tropical Pacific,...

November 11, 2017

storm_front_au_by_mrpbps_dec_2010_f

WMO's ENSO Update: Weak La Niña may develop

A La Niña event may develop in the third quarter of this year, but it is likely to be weak, the World Meteorological Organization (WMO) reported in its ENSO Update published July 28, 2016. The event is not expected to match up to the moderate to strong La...

July 28, 2016

seasurf_temp_diff_from_normal_june_2015_fe

Odds keep rising for a big El Niño in 2015

El Niño has arrived, it’s getting stronger, and it’s not about to go away soon. And already there are rumblings that this could be a big one. El Niño in Australia means warmer temperatures, and sometimes, but not always, drier conditions.In

August 11, 2015

supertyphoon_soudelor_on_aug42015_f

The 2015 El Niño well established, continues to strengthen

The 2015 El Niño is now well-established and continues to strengthen, Australian Bureau of Meteorology (BOM) reports today. International climate models surveyed by the BOM all indicate that El Niño will continue to strengthen, and persist into early 2016.

August 04, 2015

seasurfacetempjun82015f

2015 El Nino: Ocean temperatures in the tropical Pacific rising

The Australian Bureau of Meteorology analysis of international climate models indicates further warming of the tropical Pacific. The sea surface temperatures are forecasted to remain above the El Niño threshold for the rest of this year which means the 2015 El

June 10, 2015

temp_and_prec_meteoearth_jun82015_f

Heatwaves from India to the Middle East and Europe

Strong heatwaves have swept several parts of the globe over the last two weeks, claiming lives and setting new records. While India experienced world's fifth deadliest heatwave in recorded history in May, extremely high temperatures were present in Pakistan and

June 07, 2015

tropical_train_august_1_2014_goes_f

El Niño calls for above-normal 2015 eastern Pacific hurricane season

NOAA's 2015 Eastern Pacific Hurricane Season Outlook indicates that an above-normal season is most likely, with a 70% chance of an above-normal season, a 25% chance of a near-normal season, and only a 5% chance of a below normal season. The main climate factor expec

May 29, 2015

monthly_seas_surface_temperature_anomalies_trop_pac_april_2015_f

El Niño in the tropical Pacific continues to strengthen

The El Niño in the tropical Pacific continues to strengthen, Australian Bureau of Meteorology (BOM) reports today. International climate models surveyed by BOM indicate sea surface temperatures will remain well above El Niño thresholds at least into the

May 26, 2015

el_nino_graphic_by_bom_f

El Niño threshold reached in tropical Pacific

Today's update on the El Niño–Southern Oscillation (ENSO) by Australian Bureau of Meteorology confirms El Niño thresholds have been reached in the tropical Pacific for the first time since March 2010.Assistant Director for Climate Information Ser

May 12, 2015

el nino waves

Study reveals economic impact of El Niño

El Niño has a significant impact on the world and local economies - and not always for the worst - and countries should plan ahead to mitigate its effects, according to a new Working Paper from the University of Cambridge.The paper, Fair weather or foul: the

July 14, 2014

2Amanda_May_25_2014_1445Z

Impacts of El Niño and La Niña on the hurricane season

Researchers have found that instances of Atlantic tropical storms and hurricanes are usually reduced during an El Niño year. 2014 hurricane season just started and there is a strong potential for El Niño to develop during the next few months.El

June 08, 2014

chilling storm

El Nino will get more extreme

El Niño and La Niña are the warm and cold phases, respectively, of the pattern known as the El Niño Southern Oscillation (ENSO) in the eastern half of the tropical Pacific. Forecasting how this pattern will behave a few months in advance is now...

May 18, 2011