Dave Petley is the Wilson Professor of Hazard and Risk in the Department of Geography at Durham University in the UK. His blog provides a commentary on landslide events occurring worldwide, including the landslides themselves, latest research, and conferences and meetings and we simply love it! It is probably the best blog covering geological processes, with focus on landslides, mudslides, rockslides and sinkholes.
Durham University has now paid the page charges for his recent paper in Geology, which means that for the next two years it can be downloaded for free here.
This work is based on his fatality database, detailing the global cost of landslides worldwide, data collected and researched from September 1, 2002. You can read it here. The journal Geology has also placed it online.
The paper covers the period 2004-2010 and focuses on landslides caused by non-seismic processes (i.e. earthquakes are excluded). In that period, Dave Petley have recorded 32,322 deaths in 2,620 landslides. The dataset includes a map of the fatalities, which indicates where the global hotspots lie.
Some resources regarding the paper can be found on FTP site (ftp://topdog.dur.ac.uk/dnp/geology/ – WordPress seems to mangle the ftp address for some reason).
The global hotspots that emerge for landslides are as follows:
- Along the southern edge of the Himalayan Arc
- Along the coast of southwest India and in Sri Lanka
- Along the southern and eastern coastal regions of China, extending inland ~100 km
- In central China, most notably in the mountains surrounding the Sichuan Basin
- In the mountain chains along the western edge of the Philippine Sea plate
- In the central Caribbean islands
- In a chain that follows the mountains of Central America and South America from Mexico in the north to northern Chile in the south
- In Indonesia, most notably in and around the island of Java
Register/become a supporter
Your support is crucial for our survival. It makes this project fully self-sustainable and keeps us independent and focused on the content we love to create and share.
You'll receive your ad-free account for 20x faster browsing experience, clean interface without any distractions, ability to post comments without prior editorial check, all our desktop and mobile applications (current and upcoming) ad-free and with the full set of features available, a direct line of communication and much more. See all options.