Meari could unleash flooding rain and damaging winds as it takes aim at the Far East late in the week.
Meari was named by the Joint Typhoon Warning Center (JTWC) Wednesday, as Tropical Depression 07W gained storm status over the warm seas east of the northern Philippines. Skirting northern Luzon Island, Philippines, on Thursday, Meari should keep away from land until at least Friday, when a landfall will be possible in Taiwan.
The track over open water will favor intensification, so the odds of Meari becoming a typhoon ahead of its landfall are good.
Tropical cyclone forecasters based in South Korea and Japan have plotted a more easterly path for Meari; one which would only clip Taiwan and the China mainland.
The more easterly track could spare Taiwan and eastern China the worst of Meari’s wind and rain. On the other hand, it could set up the Korean Peninsula and even southwestern-most Japan for a bout of flooding rain and high wind on Sunday and Monday. (AccuWeather)
- Storm Region Infrared (MTSAT; FNMOC)
- Storm Region Enhanced Infrared (MTSAT; FNMOC)
- Storm Region Visible (MTSAT; FNMOC)
- Storm-Centered Infrared (MTSAT; NOAA/SSD)
- Storm-Centered Infrared (Aviation Color Enhancement) (MTSAT; NOAA/SSD)
- Storm-Centered Water Vapor (MTSAT; NOAA/SSD)
- Storm-Centered Visible (MTSAT; NOAA/SSD)
- Storm-Centered Water Visible (Colorized) (MTSAT; NOAA/SSD)
- Tropical West Pacific Infrared (MTSAT; NOAA)
- Tropical West Pacific Enhanced Infrared (MTSAT; NOAA)
- Tropical West Pacific Water Vapor (MTSAT; NOAA)
- Tropical West Pacific Visible (MTSAT; NOAA)
If you value what we do here, create your ad-free account and support our journalism.
Producing content you read on this website takes a lot of time, effort, and hard work. If you value what we do here, select the level of your support and register your account.
Your support makes this project fully self-sustainable and keeps us independent and focused on the content we love to create and share.
All our supporters can browse the website without ads, allowing much faster speeds and a clean interface. Your comments will be instantly approved and you’ll have a direct line of communication with us from within your account dashboard. You can suggest new features and apps and you’ll be able to use them before they go live.
You can choose the level of your support.
Stay kind, vigilant and ready!