Dengue fever outbreak hits Indonesia, 16 099 cases and 100 fatalities reported

Dengue fever outbreak hits Indonesia, 16 099 cases and 100 fatalities reported

Dengue fever outbreak is sweeping across Indonesia. Authorities have reported 16 099 cases nationwide since January and at least 100 fatalities.

"[There are] cases of 16 099 with 100 deaths for the national level. Efforts are being made to encourage an increase in preventive activities," said Dr. Siti Nadia Tarmizi, the ministry's director of vector-borne and zoonotic disease prevention and control, on Monday.

The intended preventive action is to eliminate mosquito breeding grounds at homes and schools, as well as public areas and places of worship, Tarmizi added. Furthermore, the government will also take steps to ensure adequate logistics for dengue fever tests, insecticides, and larvicide supplies. 

Tarmizi also stated that officials had expected the spike in dengue cases in several regions but proactive measures had been taken to tackle the outbreak, saying that they were "alerting homes to anticipate an increase in dengue cases and ensuring fluids and infusion devices are available."

Minister of Health Terawan Agust Putranto has visited the province of East Nusa Tenggara (NTT) which has seen a big number of dengue cases, according to Media Indonesia.

32 fatalities were reported in the province on Monday, adding up to the overall death toll of 100. Moreover, 2 697 people are currently hospitalized across 20 agencies and one municipality, NTT Health Agency reported.

"In NTT, only the Central Sumba Regency is free of dengue," said NTT disease control and prevention head, Erlina Salmun. The Sikka regency has been the most affected area in the province, with 1 145 people confined in hospitals and 13 deaths.

Salmun stated that the agency had assembled a team to deal with the cases, particularly in Sikka where most patients were concentrated. An Extraordinary Occurrence (KLB) has been declared in the regency which dates back to the outbreak beginning January.

Sikka Health Agency acting head Pertus Herlemus said the KLB is extended until March-- the third extension since the declaration.

Featured image credit: KOMPASTV/YouTube

Comments

No comments yet. Why don't you post the first comment?

Post a comment

Your name: *

Your email address: *

Comment text: *

The image that appears on your comment is your Gravatar