Sun ain’t giving us a rest – after series of M-class events an M6.1 peaked at 11:44 UTC

sun-aint-giving-us-rest-series-m-class-events-m6-1-peaked-1144-utc

The Sun keeps producing M-class flares for second day in a row. We are now bound to get used to M-class same as we did with C-class. Yesterday we saw 5 strong M-class flares – today we reached that number before 8:00 UTC.

 

The day is still not over and we have already seen 8 M-class solar flares, almost all of them from Region 1515.

At 11:44 UTC on July 5, 2012 notorious Region 1515 peaked with M6.1 solar flare, the stronges so far. The event started at 11:39, peaked at 11:44 and ended at 11:49 UTC. Potential impacts: Area of impact centered primarily on sub-solar point on the sunlit side of Earth. Radio – Limited blackout of HF (high frequency) radio communication for tens of minutes.

Immediately after this eruption a powerful Coronal Mass Ejection (CME) was observed but it’s not Earth directed.

 

SUMMARY: X-ray Event exceeded M5
Begin Time: 2012 Jul 05 1139 UTC
Maximum Time: 2012 Jul 05 1144 UTC
End Time: 2012 Jul 05 1149 UTC
X-ray Class: M6.1
Optical Class: 1b
Location: S20W32
NOAA Scale: R2 – Moderate

SUMMARY: 10cm Radio Burst
Begin Time: 2012 Jul 05 1142 UTC
Maximum Time: 2012 Jul 05 1144 UTC
End Time: 2012 Jul 05 1145 UTC
Duration: 3 minutes
Peak Flux: 290 sfu

Description: A 10cm radio burst indicates that the electromagnetic burst associated with a solar flare at the 10cm wavelength was double or greater than the initial 10cm radio background. This can be indicative of significant radio noise in association with a solar flare. This noise is generally short-lived but can cause interference for sensitive receivers including radar, GPS, and satellite communications.

 

 Latest solar events: updated at 15:20 UTC, July 5, 2012

DATE/START END PEAK CLASS REGION
2012/07/05 01:05:00 01:15:00 01:10:00 M2.4 1515
2012/07/05 02:01:00 02:32:00 02:05:00 C7.0 1515
2012/07/05 02:35:00 02:47:00 02:42:00 M2.2 1515
2012/07/05 03:25:00 03:39:00 03:36:00 M4.7 1515
2012/07/05 04:42:00 04:49:00 04:45:00 C9.1 1515
2012/07/05 06:49:00 07:05:00 06:58:00 M1.1 1515
2012/07/05 07:40:00 07:48:00 07:45:00 M1.3 1515
2012/07/05 09:05:00 09:11:00 09:08:00 C5.0 1515
2012/07/05 09:17:00 09:24:00 09:20:00 C5.8 1515
2012/07/05 10:44:00 10:50:00 10:48:00 M1.8 1515
2012/07/05 11:39:00 11:49:00 11:44:00 M6.1 1515
2012/07/05 13:05:00 13:32:00 13:17:00 M1.2 1514

 

There is 80% chance for more M-class flares and 20% chance for X-class.

More updates as they become available.

Follow Sun’s activity in real-time – SWS.

If you value what we do here, create your ad-free account and support our journalism.

Share:

Related articles



Your support makes a difference

Dear valued reader,

We hope that our website has been a valuable resource for you.

The reality is that it takes a lot of time, effort, and resources to maintain and grow this website. We rely on the support of readers like you to keep providing high-quality content.

If you have found our website to be helpful, please consider making a contribution to help us continue to bring you the information you need. Your support means the world to us and helps us to keep doing what we love.

Support us by choosing your support level – Silver, Gold or Platinum. Other support options include Patreon pledges and sending us a one-off payment using PayPal.

Thank you for your consideration. Your support is greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,
Teo Blašković

$5 /month

  • Ad-free account
  • Clean user interface and fast browsing
  • Direct communication with us via chat and email
  • Suggest new features, content and applications
  • Early access to new apps and features

$50 /year

$10 /month

  • Ad-free account
  • Clean user interface and fast browsing
  • Direct communication with us via chat and email
  • Suggest new features, content and applications
  • Early access to new apps and features

$100 /year

$25 /month

  • Ad-free account
  • Clean user interface and fast browsing
  • Direct communication with us via chat and email
  • Suggest new features, content and applications
  • Early access to new apps and features

$200 /year

You can also support us on Patreon

support us on patreon

or by sending us a one-off payment using PayPal:


Commenting rules and guidelines

We value the thoughts and opinions of our readers and welcome healthy discussions on our website. In order to maintain a respectful and positive community, we ask that all commenters follow these rules:

  • Treat others with kindness and respect.
  • Stay on topic and contribute to the conversation in a meaningful way.
  • Do not use abusive or hateful language.
  • Do not spam or promote unrelated products or services.
  • Do not post any personal information or content that is illegal, obscene, or otherwise inappropriate.

We reserve the right to remove any comments that violate these rules. By commenting on our website, you agree to abide by these guidelines. Thank you for helping to create a positive and welcoming environment for all.

One Comment

Leave a reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *