· ·

Unsettled geomagnetic conditions expected as solar activity picks up


From the start of October, Sun erupted 28 M-class and 3 X-class solar flares, sending the material into the space.

Solar activity is still raising with major X1.0 flare on October 28, 2013 and four moderate M-class flares. While our geomagnetic field is expecting impact of CMEs from two X-class and several M-class flares, last X1.0 and following M5.1 eruptions launched another set of plasma clouds into the space, partially in direction of our planet as well. 

GOES X-Ray flux shows increased activity for period from October 27, 2013 (Credit: NOAA/SWPC) 

Strong X1.0 solar flare erupted around 02:03 UTC from Sunspot 1875 located at the western limb. This event produced a bright coronal mass ejection (CME), mostly heading west. However, some parts may still be Earth directed. A second CME was generated following an M5.1 flare at 04:41 UTC. Type II and Type IV emissions were register, and 170 sfu Tenflare. The cloud was directed well westward, away from Earth.

SDO's AIA 304 and EVE shows moments of strong X-class eruption on October 28, 2013 (Courtesy of NASA/SDO and the AIA, EVE, and HMI science teams)

Sunspot 1875 is beta-gama-delta class and is capable of producing the strongest solar flares. This active region is about to cross the visible solar disk and focus its activity on the farside. There are currently four beta-gamma-delta class sunspots on the visible solar disk – 1875, 1877, 1882 and 1884. 

Sunspot 1882 erupted M2.7 and M4.4. A Type II radio emission was detected, Latest LASCO imagery show plasma cloud emerging from the Sun. It is expected to bring G1(Minor) Geomagnetic Storm levels on October 31, 2013. Sunspot 1882 is now located more closer to the center of the visible solar disk so any events from this active region could launch a plasma cloud in our direction.

SOHO's LASCO imagery show few  Coronal Mass Ejections (CMEs) from october 28, 2013 (Credit: SOHO/ESA/NASA)

LASCO C2 observed a halo CME at 15:24 UTC on October 28, associated with the M4.4 flare at 15:07 UTC from Sunspot 1882 and with a Type II emission. This CME is Earth directed. Estimation of time of arrival and geomagnetic impact will be carried out once more data are available.

New active region is about to emerge at the northwestern limb. There are no large coronal holes on the Earthside of the sun.

SDO/HMI Intensitygram – active region map (Courtesy of NASA/SDO and the AIA, EVE, and HMI science teams)

We can expect unsettled to active conditions with isolated minor storm intervals in the next 24 hours. 

Here is Timeline of M and X class eruptions: October 25 – 28, 2013 and video showing solar activity from October 20 to 27, 2013.

Global D-Region Absortion map at 08:02 UTC on October 29, 2013 (Credit: NOAA/SWPC)

NOAA/SWPC expects moderate to high levels of solar activity. More M-class events are expected with a further chance for X-class flares for the next three days​. NOAA/SWPC forecasters estimated 65% chance of an M-class and 35% chance of X-class solar flares in the next three days.

Proton levels are slightly rising now. Our geomagnetic field is at quiet levels for now. Kp index is 1 or bellow.


WARNING: Geomagnetic Sudden Impulse expected

Valid From: 2013 Oct 29 0820 UTC

Valid To: 2013 Oct 29 0920 UTC

IP Shock Passage Observed: 2013 Oct 29 0722 UTC

Update: October 29, 2013 (22:30 UTC)

Powerful X2.3 solar flare erupted from decaying Sunspot 1875 at 21:54 UTC. The event was responsible for a strong R3 radio blackout level alert.

ALERT: Type IV Radio Emission

Begin Time: 2013 Oct 29 2158 UTC

This event is associated with Type IV emission. Type IV emissions occur in association with major eruptions on the sun and are typically associated with strong coronal mass ejections and solar radiation storms. However, Sunspot 1875 is now located at the end of western limb so this eruption could hardly produce geoeffective ejections.

Featured image: NASA SDO

If you value what we do here, create your ad-free account and support our journalism.


Your support makes a difference

Dear valued reader,

We hope that our website has been a valuable resource for you.

The reality is that it takes a lot of time, effort, and resources to maintain and grow this website. We rely on the support of readers like you to keep providing high-quality content.

If you have found our website to be helpful, please consider making a contribution to help us continue to bring you the information you need. Your support means the world to us and helps us to keep doing what we love.

Support us by choosing your support level – Silver, Gold or Platinum.

Other support options include Patreon pledges, one-off payments using PayPal and purchasing products from our webshop.

Thank you for your consideration. Your support is greatly appreciated.

Teo Blašković

$5 /month

  • Ad-free account
  • Clean user interface and fast browsing
  • Direct communication with us via chat and email
  • Suggest new features, content and applications
  • Early access to new apps and features

$50 /year

$10 /month

  • Ad-free account
  • Clean user interface and fast browsing
  • Direct communication with us via chat and email
  • Suggest new features, content and applications
  • Early access to new apps and features

$100 /year

$25 /month

  • Ad-free account
  • Clean user interface and fast browsing
  • Direct communication with us via chat and email
  • Suggest new features, content and applications
  • Early access to new apps and features

$200 /year

You can also support us on Patreon

support us on patreon

or by sending us a one-off payment using PayPal:

Commenting rules and guidelines

We value the thoughts and opinions of our readers and welcome healthy discussions on our website. In order to maintain a respectful and positive community, we ask that all commenters follow these rules:

  • Treat others with kindness and respect.
  • Stay on topic and contribute to the conversation in a meaningful way.
  • Do not use abusive or hateful language.
  • Do not spam or promote unrelated products or services.
  • Do not post any personal information or content that is illegal, obscene, or otherwise inappropriate.

We reserve the right to remove any comments that violate these rules. By commenting on our website, you agree to abide by these guidelines. Thank you for helping to create a positive and welcoming environment for all.

One Comment

  1. IIIIeeeeeemmmmm bAaaaaaaaaaaquee
    Unsettled space weather not surprising.
    40 and 80 were active on my Hot Water 12 and 22.
    Halloween Hi Jinks unremarkable. The brats are
    afraid of me because I'm "weeeerd" for real, and
    all the time, not just on halloween. I didn't
    exactly have a welcome mat out so the escorted
    goblins marched by as I snoozed with the
    Heathkits turned down low.
    I thought about really WEIRDING them out with a
    home brew Bad Boy CB amp I picked up just for a
    conversation piece. I COULD have placed in the
    window with mad scientist pictures and lots of
    fake lighting sparks.. but I thought better of
    it. That would have been an invitation for the
    t and t ers, and frankly I'm not up to that.
    It would have been pretty cool though.
    Imagine A HUGE IMAC tranmitter tube
    with GIANT variable plate caps tuning HUGE COILS
    from an old refrigerator.
    ALL mounted on a slab of pine. NO COVER!!
    IT's a SIGHT! I got
    it at a HAM-FEST and almost certainly saved the
    life of some newly licensed "lid" with more
    guts than brains plus access to a
    Well…now that I have this off my chest..
    The GUILT, that is, for not being more friendly
    towards the local tykes in costume on this
    auspicious holiday– I've got a WHOLE YEAR to
    plan how to set the thing out to accomidate them
    with candy hidden among the TERRIFYING COILS.
    Lit with safe..twelve volt blinking sparkly
    christmas lights, of course. mc
    PS…It just occurred to me! Maybe some less
    kermudginny ham than myself builT this thing

Leave a reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *