A very strong and very shallow earthquake with magnitude 6.3 by USGS struck Xinjiang-Xizang border region China. Earthquake occurred at 10:47 UTC on August 12, 2012. Recorded depth is 9.7 km (6.0 miles). Epicenter was located in mountain region at coordinates 35.673°N, 82.535°E - 282 km (175 miles) ESE (123°) from Hotan, Xinjiang, China, 482 km (300 miles) ENE (68°) from Leh, Kashmir and 888 km (552 miles) ENE (73°) from ISLAMABAD, Pakistan.
GDACS is reporting that this earthquake can have a low humanitarian impact based on the magnitude and the affected population and their vulnerability. About 8000 people within 100km.
This earthquake comes almost 24 hours after devastating and deadly earthquakes with almost the same depth as August 11, 2012 M6.4 and M6.3 earthquakes in Iran.
GEOFON is reporting magnitude 6.1 for todays China earthquake and depth of 10 km.
|Depth||9.7 km (6.0 miles)|
|Region||XINJIANG-XIZANG BORDER REGION|
|Location Uncertainty||horizontal +/- 14.2 km (8.8 miles); depth +/- 4 km (2.5 miles)|
|Parameters||NST=354, Nph=355, Dmin=>999 km, Rmss=0.78 sec, Gp= 29°,|
M-type=regional moment magnitude (Mw), Version=7
Cities Exposed from GeoNames Database of Cities with 1,000 or more residents.
- The earthquake caused 2.64 million CNY damage (around 410,000 USD) in Yutian County.
- 1056 people were affected
- 70 houses were damaged
- 91 livestock pens were destroyed
- 56 large livestock were killed
- 576 small livestock were killed
- 350 people were evacuated to other houses
- Villages and households of farmers and herdsmen in the houses were damaged. They are now in relief tents.