Critical to extremely critical fire weather conditions continue on Friday across portions of Southern California due to gusty winds and a very dry airmass. These conditions should subside by the weekend as an upper level trough approaches the region.
The setup has already resulted in mandatory evacuations in the San Fernando Valley, LA County as Saddleridge Fire, which broke out late October 10 in Sylmar near the 210 Freeway, exploded amid windy weather (gusts up to 100 km/h / 60 mph) and is now burning out of control.
The fire has already scorched more than 650 ha (1 600 acres) of land by Friday morning, October 11 (LT) and forced evacuation of approximately 1 900 homes.
Evacuations have been ordered for Oakridge Estates, Glenoaks, the Foothill area and into neighborhoods in Granada Hills and Porter Ranch, LAFD Capt. Branden Silverman said.
Image credit: LAFD
As of 02:16 LT, October 11 (09:16 UTC):
- ALL of Porter Ranch (north of 118FY)
- Oakridge Estates, as shown in the map, is now under mandatory evacuation.
- West of Balboa, North of Sesnon to the Ventura County border with MASON as the current western border
- People and small pets:
- Sylmar Recreation Center (13109 Borden Ave)
- Granada Hills Recreation Center (16730 Chatsworth St)
- Large Animals:
- Hansen Dam
STRUCTURES DESTROYED BY FIRE:
- There has been at least one commercial building destroyed
- There have been homes destroyed by fire
Updated information at LAFD.
The fire jumped a portion of Interstate 5, and is rapidly moving toward the northern portions of Granada Hills, Porter Ranch and Chatsworth, in the vicinity of the 118 freeway.
"Be prepared and ready to evacuate if given the order," LAPD said.
BREAKING: The #SaddleridgeFire is now right on top of the Aliso Canyon natural gas facility. We understand operations here have been ordered shut down by fire officials. @FOXLA pic.twitter.com/GByfq5wMIE— Bill Melugin (@BillFOXLA) October 11, 2019
The Los Angeles Fire Department said it's still investigating the casue of the fire.
Featured image credit: Alyssa Flores