Typhoon "Doksuri" hits Vietnam, 9 dead, 4 missing 112 injured

Typhoon

Typhoon "Doksuri" made landfall near Quong Dong, Ha Tinh province of northern Vietnam around 03:00 UTC on September 15, 2017 with maximum sustained winds of 148 km/h (92 mph) and gusts to 185 km/h (115 mph), according to satellite assessments. This made Doksuri a Category 2 hurricane equivalent on the Saffir-Simpson wind scale. The typhoon peaked in strength just before making landfall with maximum sustained winds of 185 km/h (115 mph). 

Vietnam state news agency said roofs had been blown off of 260 houses in the ancient city of Hue. Electricity was reportedly knocked out in parts of Ha Tinh and Quang Binh provinces after the wind brought down power lines along with trees and billboards.

Along with powerful winds, Doksuri brought very heavy rain and caused widespread flash flooding.

At least 46 flights were canceled between the capital, Hanoi, in northern Vietnam and Ho Chi Minh City, the commercial hub in the south, according to Reuters.

Although there were no immediate reports of deaths today, one person drowned in central Vietnam on Thursday, September 14.

More than 100 000 people were evacuated from coastal regions ahead of the storm. 

Typhoon Doksuri at 02:50 UTC on September 15, 2017

Typhoon "Doksuri" at 02:50 UTC on September 15, 2017. Credit: JMA/Himawari-8 (CIRA)

Typhoon Doksuri forecast track by JTWC on September 15, 2017

After slamming Vietnam, Doksuri moved into Laos, still as a typhoon, with maximum sustained winds 148 km/h (92 mph) and heavy rain.

It is expected to cross Laos along the border with Thailand before reaching northern Thailand.

Updates

The worst hit areas in Vietnam were Ha Tinh and Quang Binh provinces were more than 100 000 homes have been damaged, according to initial estimations.

At least four people have reportedly been killed in separate incidents in Thanh Hoa, Nghe An, Quang Binh and Thua Thien Hue. Power was cut in large areas as a preventive measure, and more than 40 flights have been canceled. A pre-emptive evacuation was carried out in four provinces, covering more than 60 000 people.

Reuters later reported that about 200 000 houses had been flooded or submerged, 5 000 had lost their roofs and 20 had collapsed in Quang Binh, according to Le Minh Ngan, the vice-chairperson of the local People’s Committee.

September 19

9 people have died, 4 are still missing and 112 have been injured, disaster officials said September 19.

Damage assessments from Vietnam’s Department of Natural Resources Prevention and Protection (DNDPC) reveal that 1 185 houses have been totally destroyed, 152 559 houses damaged and 10 923 houses flooded.

Featured image: Typhoon "Doksuri" at 02:50 UTC on September 15, 2017. Credit: JMA/Himawari-8 (CIRA)

Comments

No comments yet. Why don't you post the first comment?

Post a comment

Your name: *

Your email address: *

Comment text: *

The image that appears on your comment is your Gravatar