National emergency declared as deadly wildfire destroys 300 structures, South Korea
A national emergency was declared after a series of wildfires in South Korea's Gangwon Province, northeast of capital Seoul, destroyed 300 homes, warehouses and other buildings, and left at least 1 person dead since it started late April 4, 2019. The main fire has been brought under control today, but other fires are still burning.
The fire was likely started by a transformer spark near the town of Goseong around 19:17 LT and helped by strong winds rapidly spread to nearby mountains.
Gangwon Fire Headquarters fire captain, Choi Jin-ho, said nearly 2 300 people in Goseong and almost 1 250 in Sokchjo have been evacuated, adding that 2 people lost their lives – a 60-year-old man and a woman in her 70s. It was later confirmed that the woman did not fie from the fire. At least 11 people have been injured.
The fire has also spread toward Ganeuing and Donghae, causing the temporary shutdown of a highway and delays in train services.
Authorities said Friday about 2 540 ha (6 274 acres) of the forest has burned as well as 300 homes, warehouses and other structures.
Sokcho in the eastern part of Korea, a large-scale forest fire is "the sea of fire". Near Pyeongchang, where last year's “Winter Olympics” was held. . .
Moth https://t.co/D4zeKUyk4w pic.twitter.com/IuM3SDhq12
— KpopCeleb (@kpopceleb) April 4, 2019
【Breaking news】 The Korean government has declared a "national disaster situation" due to a forest fire in the northeastern part of Takagi. . .
Moth https://t.co/18bMKNvrna pic.twitter.com/rraT3pxypl
— KpopCeleb (@kpopceleb) April 5, 2019
Authorities mobilized 5 600 firefighters, 872 fire engines and about 20 firefighting helicopters. I addition, some 16 500 soldiers, 32 military helicopters and 26 military trucks were mobilized.
It was the biggest-ever force deployed to Gangwon-do for firefighting and rescue work.
"It is extremely rare for fire trucks to be dispatched on a nationwide scale," an official from the National Fire Agency said.
"Fortunately, the main fire has been brought under control," provincial governor Choi Moon-soon said in a radio interview with news broadcaster YTN, but added that others were still burning.
The Korea Herald said the extent of the damage and casualties is expected to grow throughout the day.
This is one of the largest wildfires the country has ever seen.
Featured image credit: Korea Now
If you value what we do here, create your ad-free account and support our journalism.
Your support makes a difference
Dear valued reader,
We hope that our website has been a valuable resource for you.
The reality is that it takes a lot of time, effort, and resources to maintain and grow this website. We rely on the support of readers like you to keep providing high-quality content.
If you have found our website to be helpful, please consider making a contribution to help us continue to bring you the information you need. Your support means the world to us and helps us to keep doing what we love.
Support us by choosing your support level – Silver, Gold or Platinum. Other support options include Patreon pledges and sending us a one-off payment using PayPal.
Thank you for your consideration. Your support is greatly appreciated.
Commenting rules and guidelines
We value the thoughts and opinions of our readers and welcome healthy discussions on our website. In order to maintain a respectful and positive community, we ask that all commenters follow these rules:
We reserve the right to remove any comments that violate these rules. By commenting on our website, you agree to abide by these guidelines. Thank you for helping to create a positive and welcoming environment for all.