An equatorial, negative polarity coronal hole high speed stream (CH HSS) coupled with waning coronal mass ejection (CME) influence produced a G3 – Strong geomagnetic storm conditions early April 10, 2022. Conditions could further escalate and even reach G4 – Strong or G5 – Extreme conditions.
Geomagnetic K-index of 5 (G1 – Minor geomagnetic storm) threshold was reached at 04:27 UTC, followed by K-index of 6 (G2 – Moderate) at 04:46 UTC and K-index of 7 (G3 – Strong) at 05:10 UTC.
G3 – Strong geomagnetic storm potential impacts:
- Area of impact primarily poleward of 50 degrees Geomagnetic Latitude.
- Induced Currents – Power system voltage irregularities are possible, false alarms may be triggered on some protection devices.
- Spacecraft – Systems may experience surface charging; increased drag on low Earth-orbit satellites and orientation problems may occur.
- Navigation – Intermittent satellite navigation (GPS) problems, including loss-of-lock and increased range error may occur.
- Radio – HF (high frequency) radio may be intermittent.
- Aurora – Aurora may be seen as low as Pennsylvania to Iowa to Oregon.
At 05:12 UTC, SWPC issued a Geomagnetic K-index of 7 or greater warning, suggesting G4 -Severe or even G5 – Extreme geomagnetic storm conditions are possible. The warning is valid through 09:00 UTC.
According to the SWPC forecasters, the conditions are caused by a negative-polarity coronal hole high speed stream.
Featured image credit: NASA SDO/AIA, TW
If you value what we do here, create your ad-free account and support our journalism.
Producing content you read on this website takes a lot of time, effort, and hard work. If you value what we do here, select the level of your support and register your account.
Your support makes this project fully self-sustainable and keeps us independent and focused on the content we love to create and share.
All our supporters can browse the website without ads, allowing much faster speeds and a clean interface. Your comments will be instantly approved and you’ll have a direct line of communication with us from within your account dashboard. You can suggest new features and apps and you’ll be able to use them before they go live.
You can choose the level of your support.
Stay kind, vigilant and ready!