·

Subsiding geomagnetic storm sparked bright auroras over northern Europe, Greenland and Iceland

subsiding-geomagnetic-storm-sparked-bright-auroras-over-northern-europe-greenland-and-iceland

Coronal mass Ejection brushed Earth's magnetic field causing G2 (Moderate) Geomagnetic Storming late on February 27, 2014. The event was associated with the R3 (Strong) Solar Flare Radio Blackout event caused by February 25th X4.9 solar flare.

A geomagnetic sudden impulse measuring 22 nT was detected at 16:53 UTC by ground based magnetometers. Geomagnetic storm conditions have since subsided.

Taken by Alan C Tough on February 27, 2014 @ Hopeman, Moray, Scotland (Image via SpaceWeather)

G2 (Moderate) Geomagnetic Storm sparked bright auroras over northern Europe, Greenland and Iceland. High-latitude sky watchers should remain alert for auroras as Earth moves through the wake of the CME. NOAA/SWPC forecasters estimate a 55% chance of resurgent storms on February 28, 2014.

This timelapse shows the aurora display over Swordale, Isle of Lewis, Scotland on February 27, 2014:

Video courtesy of timelapsedisles

NOAA/SWPC forecasts solar activity is likely to be moderate (R1-R2 Minor-Moderate) during the next three days, with a chance for another X-class flare from Active Region 1990. Sunspot 1990 continues to harbor some magnetic complexity and further eruptions are certainly possible. There is 70 % chance of an M-class solar flare and 30 % of an X-class solar flare in the next 24 hours.

Featured image: Alan C Tough on February 27, 2014 @ Hopeman, Moray, Scotland (Image via SpaceWeather)

If you value what we do here, create your ad-free account and support our journalism.

Share:

Related articles

Producing content you read on this website takes a lot of time, effort, and hard work. If you value what we do here, select the level of your support and register your account.

Your support makes this project fully self-sustainable and keeps us independent and focused on the content we love to create and share.

All our supporters can browse the website without ads, allowing much faster speeds and a clean interface. Your comments will be instantly approved and you’ll have a direct line of communication with us from within your account dashboard. You can suggest new features and apps and you’ll be able to use them before they go live.

You can choose the level of your support.

Stay kind, vigilant and ready!

$5 /month

  • Ad-free account
  • Instant comments
  • Direct communication
  • New features and apps suggestions
  • Early access to new apps and features

$50 /year

$10 /month

  • Ad-free account
  • Instant comments
  • Direct communication
  • New features and apps suggestions
  • Early access to new apps and features

$100 /year

$25 /month

  • Ad-free account
  • Instant comments
  • Direct communication
  • New features and apps suggestions
  • Early access to new apps and features

$200 /year

You can also support us by sending us a one-off payment using PayPal:

Leave a reply

Your email address will not be published.