Kono Taro is Director General of Japan’s Liberal Democratic Party’s International bureau and a fifth-term Member of the House of Representatives in Japan. He is especially critical of the government’s pursuit of a so-called ‘closed’ nuclear fuel cycle whereby plutonium is extracted from spent fuel by nuclear waste re-processing within Japan. Kono also opposes the building of new nuclear power plants as the government has not dealt with the nuclear-waste issue.
Some of the topics Dr. Caldicott and Kono discuss in the following radio interview are the Japanese government and industry reaction to the Fukushima disaster, how Japanese citizens are dealing with the after-effects of the meltdown, the likelihood of birth defects post-Fukushima, radioactive food, whether Japan will continue to rely on nuclear power, the threat of future earthquakes on the island, whether or not Japan has any interest in building nuclear weapons, and the Chinese military presence in the vicinity of Japan.
Summary of interview with Kono Taro:
- All the monitoring posts went down after tsunami
- Tepco told us they were not able to recover monitoring posts
- After even one week they were not able to recover the power for the monitoring posts
- I now believe Tepco was trying to hide the numbers
- People in Japan were deceived for many days to come
Source: ifyoulovethisplanet via enenevs