Elbert County officials ordered the demolition of the remaining parts of the Georgia Guidestones monument after it sustained heavy damage in a bombing that took place on the morning of July 6, 2022.
This was a highly controversial granite monument built about 14 km (9 miles) N of Elberton, Georga in 1980 and paid for by an anonymous group of people. It stood 5.8 m (19 feet) tall and had six granite slabs with a total weight of 108 840 kg (237 746 pounds).
A message consisting of a set of ten guidelines or principles was engraved on the stones in eight different languages, one language on each face of the four large upright stones. Moving clockwise around the structure from due north, these languages were English, Spanish, Swahili, Hindi, Hebrew, Arabic, Traditional Chinese, and Russian.1
According to the people who organized the construction, the inscriptions were supposed to guide humanity to conserve nature after a nuclear war, which the creators thought was an imminent threat.
The inscription read:
- Maintain humanity under 500 000 000 in perpetual balance with nature.
- Guide reproduction wisely – improving fitness and diversity.
- Unite humanity with a living new language.
- Rule passion – faith – tradition – and all things with tempered reason.
- Protect people and nations with fair laws and just courts.
- Let all nations rule internally resolving external disputes in a world court.
- Avoid petty laws and useless officials.
- Balance personal rights with social duties.
- Prize truth – beauty – love – seeking harmony with the infinite.
- Be not a cancer on the Earth – Leave room for nature – Leave room for nature.
At around 04:00 LT on July 6, 2022, an explosion at the site destroyed the Swahili/Hindi language slab. Later that day, county officials ordered the demolition of the remaining parts of the structure for ‘safety reasons.’
As of July 7, no arrests have been made.
1 Georgia Guidestones – Wikipedia – Accessed July 7, 2022
Featured image credit: 11Alive (stillshot)
If you value what we do here, create your ad-free account and support our journalism.
Producing content you read on this website takes a lot of time, effort, and hard work. If you value what we do here, select the level of your support and register your account.
Your support makes this project fully self-sustainable and keeps us independent and focused on the content we love to create and share.
All our supporters can browse the website without ads, allowing much faster speeds and a clean interface. Your comments will be instantly approved and you’ll have a direct line of communication with us from within your account dashboard. You can suggest new features and apps and you’ll be able to use them before they go live.
You can choose the level of your support.
Stay kind, vigilant and ready!