Sheveluch volcano, Kamchatka, Russia erupted at 02:48 UTC on April 10, 2019, producing a column of ash up to 10 km (33 000 feet) above sea level.
The Aviation Color Code remains Orange.
"An eruptive activity of the volcano continues," KVERT said 03:17 UTC. "According to video data, explosions sent ash up to 7.5 - 8 km (24 600 - 26 200 feet) a.s.l., southeast of from the volcano."
There are no settlements on the way of ash distributions, EMERCOM said. However, authorities remind residents and tourists to follow rules of behavior during ashfall in settlements:
- inhalation of ash and its penetration into the lungs, allergic reactions are possible, therefore, when ash falls, it is necessary to close the doors and windows, try not to go outside without the need;
- if the ash will penetrate into the dwelling, family members should wear respirators or cotton dressings impregnated with soda solution;
- cover the computer, stereo system and other equipment with plastic wrap or thick cloth and not to use it during the fall;
- if you worked during the fall in the street, do not bring clothes into the house;
- after ashfall, you must wear a respirator and glasses before cleaning the house from the ashes; clean the roof, gutters and other places in the house where ash could accumulate; update the stock of the necessary, which should be in case of ashfall.
Ash explosions up to 10 - 15 km (32 800 - 49 200 feet) a.s.l. could occur at any time, KVERT said. Ongoing activity could affect international and low-flying aircraft.
Video recorded April 5, 2019. Ash plume reached approximately 6.5 km (21 300 feet) a.s.l.
Featured image: Ash rising from Shiveluch volcano at 04:40 UTC on April 10, 2019. Credit: RAMMB/CIRA, EUMETSAT, JMA, TW
Register/become a supporter
Your support is crucial for our survival. It makes this project fully self-sustainable and keeps us independent and focused on the content we love to create and share.
You'll receive your ad-free account for 20x faster browsing experience, clean interface without any distractions, ability to post comments without prior editorial check, all our desktop and mobile applications (current and upcoming) ad-free and with the full set of features available, a direct line of communication and much more. See all options.